Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Watch us on YouTube Blogger
Your Banner Here
You cannot rate threads

Thankx Thankx:  0
Recommend Recommend:  0

Question about Squaring Time and Price

In the age of e-trading, I still hand draw all of my charts. I have never traded using Gann's methods but I am doing research on some of them. I'm a bit confused as to how a person should square time and price for some categories of futures contracts.

Gann’s “The Basis of My Forecasting Method” discusses using the 1 point ($1) for every 1/8th of an inch on graph paper. From my understanding of this course this measurement is for stocks and their respective indices. From charts floating around the internet, I understand the scaling for the grains and softs is similar to stocks.

How does one scale futures contracts that did not exist in Gann’s time such as financials (30-year Treasury Bonds), currencies (Japanese Yen, British Pound, etc.), and energy futures (Natural Gas, Gasoline RBOB, etc.)?

Thank you in advance,

BA

From my understating The 1 point per day was just a basic guideline since it was common for stocks to move $1-2 dollars per day. So if you were using 1/8th of inch for every dollar/day then a 45 degree angle would act as a timming line that measured $1 for every 1 day, and was a way of tracking time/price without having to count, and when price touched that angle or it intersected increments of 8's from a low/high eg 1/8th,1/4, 1/2 etc then there was a harmonic relationship where the number of days was equal in some proportion to the $ amount price had traveled. 100% of the range was your full "square".

People will say you need to use increments of 1 when looking at the likes of currencies, so 0.0001 per day/ per 1/8th of an inch of graph paper etc. I guess that means you come out with giant looking charts, that are unpractical to scale- hence why computers are so practical. The truth is though no one exactly knows how to scale a chart correctly, even Gann.

I'd suggest you email someone like Bill Mclaren, Dawn Bolton Smith, or Michael S Jenkins. I know they all keep hand drawn Gann charts, which I've heard are most useful on 1/2 hour/ hourly time frames. You should probably try and get your hands on a Gann Square overlay aswell, that should make your life alot easier. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

huge learning resources of gann online

I have a query. In his course Gann mentions various angels:

1*2 - 26.75 degrees
    1*4 - 15 degrees
    1*8 - 7.5 degrees

but when I solved the lines with the arctan function i got:

1*2 - 26.57
    1*4 - 14.04
    1*8 - 7.13

Can someone help me understand why the discrepancy? am i missing something? which one to follow?

Thanks in advance

Gann Angles differ of Geometric Angles
    ......[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Hi,

Can anyone provide pointers on how to square high and lows of index which runs into thousands eg. Nikkei etc.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there is any wrong with Gann Angle. Because he always said in his course that those angles are not perfect 45D calculated with protractor.
    “It is not necessary to measure these angles with a protractor.”

For different financial instruments scaling are different. For example if an instrument moves 1000 points per day average. Then you have to square with 1000. If total trading hour is 5. Then each hour will be 200 points. Each 15 Minutes 50 points. is So when you draw angles on 15 minute chart, each bar will move 50 points. you have to adjust it accordingly.

This is just my view.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; argument is an exchange of ignorance” - Robert Quillen

Nopes .....does'nt work that way.

Ur right that angles don't have to be of same measurement as stated by Gann. But the proportion needs to remain same, you can't mess with them. Which means that if you draw 1*1 line in different time horizon charts ie. daily/weekly/monthly it means 1 point for one day/week/month.

I am able to square charts on stocks having price less then 1000 units, but as the number reaches into thousands such as index's things go awry.

But anyways appreciate your inputs, hope to exchange notes in future.

Question about Squaring Time and Price

Hi all,
    Where would I find an appraisal site that would be able to give me a value of this book?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

User Tag List